Purchasing a home comes with so much excitement that homeowners can sometimes forget about the maintenance a new home will need. We, at Southern Homes, understand the importance of maintaining a new home, and we want to help make this process as easy as possible on you. So, with our homeowners in mind, below is an easy home maintenance guide that will help you check those items off your list so you can get back to simply enjoying your new home.
An important part of home ownership is home maintenance. Our how-to videos will serve as a guide to help keep your home looking and functioning great!
- Check smoke detectors.
- Check fire extinguishers for proper charge.
- Clean or replace dirty filter in range hood.
- Check for evidence of leaks around toilets, under sinks and around dishwasher.
- Clean and freshen sink drains.
- Inspect furnace and air conditioning filters. Replace as required.
- Clean aerators on faucets regularly, depending on water hardness.
- Monitor and maintain floor coverings on an as required basis.
- Check the Temperature Pressure Release (TPR) valve on the water heater.
- Inspect roof and chimney for broken or missing shingles.
- Inspect outside of home and condition of siding, paint, stucco, etc.
- Inspect windows and doors to verify proper operation and security.
- Maintain wall finishes.
- Monitor and maintain cabinets and countertops.
- Inspect foundation.
- Inspect main service panel, circuit breakers, all GFI outlets, etc.
- Complete seasonal maintenance on heating and air conditioning by licensed HVAC contractor.
- Check general condition of compressor.
- Inspect and replace caulking and grout around tubs, showers and sinks, if needed.
- Examine caulking around windows, doors, etc.
- Inspect condition of concrete slabs and patios.
- Check condition of septic tank and leech field.
- Visually survey wood trim. Clean all woodwork and wax.
- Have carpets professionally cleaned.
- Complete annual furnace and air conditioning maintenance by a licensed HVAC contractor.